Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Pressures of Life can be as Simple as the Chair you sit on


At the age of 10, I knew about pressure sores. When I was fifteen, I
became more aware of how serious pressure sores can develop into dangerous infections. Due to my knowledge of pressure sores, and their risks of infections; I took extra precautions of my skin. As for example, I slept on my side until my arthritis and bursitis worsened.

For 55 years, I took great care of myself from the dangers of pressure sores. In June of 2004, I had two surgeries in one day. Upon discharge from the hospital to my home, the plan was that the "Visiting Nurses of Boston" would come for a short time to keep a check on me.

A young nurse came for a couple times a week, I asked her to inspect my skin. My request of inspection of my skin was not honored! Her excuse was that she did not have time to inspect my skin. In her education to become a nurse, she was taught to inspect a person's skin as one of the priorities. Therefore, she neglected one of her priorities of her education!

As a result of the young nurse’s negligence, my skin is now in danger for pressure sores. Pressure sores are a serious matter; they can lead into the next stage of degeneration. As the pressure sore developed without treatment, I progressed into stage two.

If the pressure sores break open; they will most likely lead into the next stage if untreated. The transgression from stage three to stage four is rapid, so the treatment and care of these sores are imperative.

http://medlineplus.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/19091.jpg





















http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/cancer_images/pressuresores2.gif
According To American Academy of Family Physicians:

What are pressure sores?
Pressure sores are areas of injured skin and tissue. They are usually caused by sitting or lying in one position for too long. This puts pressure on certain areas of the body. The pressure can reduce the blood supply to the skin and the tissues under the skin. When a change in position doesn't occur often enough and the blood supply gets too low, a sore may form. Pressure sores are also called bedsores, pressure ulcers and decubitus ulcers.


Are pressure sores serious?
Pressure sores can be serious, depending on how much the skin and tissues have been damaged. You should call your doctor if you think a sore is forming.

Mild damage causes the skin to be discolored, but a sore doesn't form. In light-skinned people, the damaged skin may turn dark purple or red. In dark-skinned people, the area may become darker than normal. The area of damaged skin may also feel warmer than the surrounding skin.

Deep sores can go down into the muscle, or even to the bone. If pressure sores are not treated properly, they can become infected. An infection in a pressure sore can be serious. Pressure sores also hurt a lot and make it hard for a person to move around.

Who gets pressure sores?
Anyone who sits or lies in one position for a long time might get pressure sores. You are more likely to get pressure sores if you use a wheelchair or spend most of your time in bed. However, even people who are able to walk can get pressure sores when they must stay in bed because of an illness or injury. Some chronic diseases, such as diabetes and hardening of the arteries, make it hard for pressure sores to heal because of a poor blood supply to the area.



Inspired by JAH - April 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment