- You fill the drainage bags with vinegar and bleach by using the funnel that is in the bathroom. It is your preference to do this with or without gloves. You will have spillage if you do not hold the funnel on the tip of the tube tightly when pouring the bleach, vinegar and water.
- Fill the drainage bag (Vinegar / Bleach) up to the 100cc level. Then, fill the drainage bags with water up to the 1000cc level.
- In the morning, cleanse the drainage bag with Vinegar. Soak it for about five minutes. Rinse well, and hang it on the side of the drying rack in the bathtub with the tip open.
- In the afternoon, cleanse the drainage bag with Bleach; let it soak in the bathroom sink for the evening Caregiver. Flush the bag 4-5 times with water from the pink cup. The reason is that Bleach has a strong odor.
- Carolyn will inform you as to when to throw the drainage bags down the chute.
Preparation of Ostomy Pouches
- Shake the pouch open with two or three fingers, so it will open, and does not stick together.
- Squirt four or five squirts of cooking spray directly down the inside of the pouch. Please, avoid getting the cooking spray on the gas valve. There is a small grey window near the opening of the pouch adjacent to the white rectangle. Cut a hole through the window going through to the front side of the pouch so you can see the hole from the front side.